Natural Gas Appliance Safety Tips

GAS RANGE: Never use a Natural Gas range for heating. Using a range as a source of heat can cause dangerous levels of Carbon Monoxide (CO) to build up in your home or building. Call Agrinatural Gas if you notice a pilot flame suddenly burning much higher than normal because it might be a surge in gas pressure. The flame should always burn BLUE, not orange or yellow. If the flame is NOT BLUE, it may be a sign that the appliance needs adjusting or cleaning. Appliances should always be checked and adjusted by a qualified service technician.

GAS FIREPLACE LOGS: are the exception to the BLUE flame rule. Most of these products are designed to be operated with a yellow or orange flame in order to achieve a more realistic appearance. Any time they are used, the damper in the fireplace should be OPEN.

WATER HEATER: Set your water heater temperature to 120 degrees (low or warm) to help prevent accidental burns. Water heaters set at 140 degrees or higher pose a potential danger, especially to children and the elderly. You should always feel the water before bathing or showering. Temperature limiting valves are available. Check your owner’s manual for information.

GAS GRILL: NEVER use your gas grill inside a garage, in an enclosed porch or directly under low eaves or overhangs. Also, keep your grill at a safe distance from wood siding, deck railings and other surfaces that could ignite.

GAS DRYER: Check your clothes dryer exhaust duct, vent and hood cover (outside the house) periodically, removing any lint or obstruction.

HEATING SYSTEM: Have a qualified technician check your heating system annually. Technicians check for proper combustion, carbon monoxide levels and flue gas temperature, burners and the heat exchanger to ensure proper operation.

FLEXIBLE NATURAL GAS CONNECTORS: These are corrugated metal tubes that connect a home’s or business’s Natural Gas appliances to a fuel source. The U.S.Consumer Product Safety Commission warns Natural Gas users that older brass, uncoated appliance connectors can come apart, causing fires and explosions resulting in deaths and injuries.

Defective connectors are most often found on Natural Gas ranges, ovens and clothes dryers (sometimes on water heaters and furnaces) that are 20 years old or older. If you suspect you may have an uncoated, brass connector, follow these simple steps:

NEVER move the appliance or disturb the connector! This could cause the connector to break, which could cause a fire or explosion.
Schedule a qualified plumber or heating dealer to inspect the connector. NEVER do this yourself!
• If necessary, ask the qualified technician to replace the old connector with a new model certified by the American Gas Association. Newer connectors are made of stainless steel or plastic-coated metal.
• Replace all uncoated brass connectors immediately.

KEEP FLAMMABLES AWAY FROM APPLIANCES! NEVER use or store flammable products such as gasoline, solvents or adhesives near a water heater or any other Natural Gas or electric appliance because vapors from flammable liquids can ignite.

Manufacturer’s have adopted a standard to produce 30-50 gallon water heaters with technology that helps prevent flammable liquids from igniting. Since older water heaters are not equipped with this resistant technology, they are more susceptible to flammable vapors. In the right conditions, flammable vapors can travel undetected along the floor aided by air vents. Keep ALL flammable products in tightly closed, approved containers, stored far away from all appliances and out of the reach of children. To find out more, visit the American Gas Association website, www.aga.org